Get ready to elevate your knowledge of elite sports nutrition with Ben Parker, Sports Dietitian of the Gold Coast Suns. Join us on December 14th at 8 pm AEST for this exclusive masterclass. Limited spots are available, so click the button below to claim your spot and unlock the secrets to peak performance!
Topics we discussed:
- 00:00 Fuel for body
- 00:51 Food diary
- 01:38 The Simple Things Checklist
- 02:36 5 food groups
- 03:20 Fuel: the athlete way
In our quest for a healthier body and improved performance, the concept of “dieting” often comes to mind. However, in this podcast episode, we’re going to shift our perspective and embrace the idea of fueling our bodies for optimal results. Join us as we explore the art of nutrition and discover how to lose body fat without resorting to strict diets. This episode will provide valuable insights and practical tips to help you make sustainable changes to your eating habits. So, let’s dive in! Understanding the Power of Fuel: When it comes to nourishing our bodies, the term “fuel” resonates more strongly than “diet.” Eating with the mindset of fueling our bodies allows us to focus on performance and long-term well-being rather than simply satisfying our appetite. Our food choices influence our cravings, and breakfast sets the tone for the rest of the day. By consciously fueling our bodies with nutritious foods, we create a positive cycle of healthy eating. Keeping a Food Diary: To heighten our awareness of our eating habits, it’s beneficial to maintain a food diary. Every couple of months, it’s a good practice to jot down what we eat and drink throughout the day. This diary serves as a tool for self-reflection and enables us to pinpoint areas that need improvement. Whether it’s through taking photos or writing in a journal, recording our food intake allows us to evaluate our choices and make necessary adjustments. The Three Pillars of Optimal Nutrition: To fuel our training and support our body’s needs, there are three fundamental aspects that we should focus on. The beauty of these pillars lies in their simplicity and accessibility. They don’t require fancy equipment or substantial financial investments; rather, they demand a little time, energy, and organizational skills in food preparation. Let’s explore these pillars in detail: Fueling Your Body: The Secrets to Losing Body Fat Without Dieting
- Hydration: The importance of drinking plenty of water cannot be overstated. Staying hydrated aids in digestion, nutrient absorption, and overall bodily functions. Make it a habit to keep a water bottle by your side and sip throughout the day to maintain optimal hydration levels.
- Limit Processed Foods: Processed foods often contain a plethora of additives, preservatives, and unhealthy ingredients. As a general rule, if a product has more than five ingredients (excluding trail mixes), it is likely a processed food. Minimizing our consumption of processed foods helps us avoid unnecessary additives and focuses our diet on whole, natural ingredients.
- Balancing the Five Food Groups: To create a well-rounded diet, it’s essential to incorporate foods from all five food groups: grains, vegetables, fruits, protein, and dairy. Each group offers unique benefits, such as energy from complex carbohydrates, immune system support from fruits and vegetables, and muscle maintenance or growth from protein. Strive to include at least four out of the five food groups in your meals, aiming for a balanced distribution throughout the day.
Take your AFLW performance to new heights with the Nutrition for AFLW e-book. Created by renowned Advanced Sports Dietitian Jess Spendlove, this comprehensive guide is specifically designed to help female athletes plan, prepare, and time their nutrition for optimal footy performance.
Drawing from her experience working with the GWS GIANTS AFLW team, including her role as Head of Nutrition in 2019 and 2020, Jess provides invaluable insights and practical strategies to support your athletic journey.
Inside the 76-page e-book, you’ll discover:
- CHAPTER 1: Building Healthy Meals & Performance Snacks
- CHAPTER 2: Adjusting Intake for Training
- CHAPTER 3: Managing Nutrition & Injury
- CHAPTER 4: Nutrition For Female Athletes
- CHAPTER 5: Timing of Meals
- CHAPTER 6: Nailing Your Game Day Fuel – including a game day guide and preparation tips
- CHAPTER 7: Meal Planning for Your Training Week
- CHAPTER 8: Household Staples
- CHAPTER 9: Simple Recipes for Athletes
Whether you’re an aspiring AFLW athlete, a seasoned player, or a coach looking to enhance your team’s performance, this e-book is a must-have resource. Fuel your body with the right nutrients and gain a competitive edge on the field.
Don’t miss out on this opportunity to elevate your game. Click the link below to get your copy of the Nutrition for AFLW e-book and unlock the secrets to peak performance in AFLW.
Invest in your performance. Get your copy of the Nutrition for AFLW e-book today and fuel your success on the footy field.
Jack McLean is the founder of Prepare Like a Pro. He loves coaching people so that they can reach their personal/professional goals and become the best that they can possibly be. He is currently the Strength & Rehab Coach of Melbourne Football Club and has worked as Strength & Conditioning Coach at Hawthorn Football Club. Jack is a Level 3 Australian Strength & Conditioning Association and Professional Coach and a Level 1 Australian Weightlifting Federation Coach.