Our guest for Episode 54 of the Prepare Like A Pro Podcast is David Mirra.
As a young player who was no longer eligible for junior football, Mirra joined Box Hill in the Victorian Football League (VFL) in 2010. In his first season with the club, he played just one senior game, spending the rest of the season playing in the development team which won the premiership. From 2011 onward, Mirra was a regular senior player for Box Hill. He became a solid and dependable defender and had been selected for the VFL in-state representative matches on three occasions. In 2013, Mirra led Box Hill to a grand final win after club captain, Daniel Pratt, was unable to play because of injury. He has been named in the VFL Team of the year four times and won the club best and fairest in 2016 having previously been runner-up on four occasions.
To the end of the 2019 season; Mirra has played 155 senior games for Box Hill and captained the side for four seasons from 2014 to 2017. He has captained the Box Hill Hawks in 78 matches, a club record.
- Guest Intro
- His love for the game and fond memories of watching Essendon FC play and playing footy in the backyard with his dad
- David journey as a later developer to some of his mates growing up
- His mentors along his journey such as David Banfield, Brendon Bolton and his family (check out their awesome interviews in our podcast list!)
- How he values hard work and persistence
- Why sacrifice was crucial for his success
- His insight into his approach on how to prepare for AFL football, including the training, recovery, and the mental side.
- His approach to his development breaking it down into three key areas
- The importance of living an elite lifestyle and leading by example
- Why he chose to play for Boxhill and why he grew to love the club
- The things that worked and haven’t worked throughout his career
- Mick Mirra
- David Banfield
- James Hird
- Blake Caracella
- Matthew Lloyd
- Sam Blease
- Brendon Bolton
- Marcos Bellos
- Max Bailey
- Chris Newman
- Ed Curnow
- Sam Gibson
- Sean Murphy
- Sam Switkowski
- Jarrad Rivers