In Episode 48 of the Prepare Like A Pro Podcast, I am speaking with Darren Burgess, the High-Performance Manager at Melbourne FC. Before Melbourne. Darren was the Director of Performance at Arsenal FC, High-Performance Manager at Port Adelaide Football Club, Head of Conditioning at Liverpool FC, and Head of Fitness at the Football Federation of Australia.
In this episode, you will learn:
- Darren’s strength and conditioning journey from start to now.
- His learnings from working in the English Premier League.
- His role at Melbourne and how he manages AFL players to perform each week.
- Why small-sided games are so effective in developing athletic qualities like agility & mobility.
- Darren’s passion for high performance, physical preparation, and how he continues to learn and develop his craft.
- The importance of having an individualized strength & conditioning program for working on an athlete’s strengths whilst managing past injuries.
- What has worked and hasn’t throughout his career.
- How he values technique and posture when it comes to running gym movements for young developing footballers.
- His approach to preparing AFL footballers and how important lifestyle factors are like sleep, nutrition, and mindset.
- In-season recovery tips and tricks.
- Tips for developing footballers and staff wanting to reach the highest level, including the importance of skill development and building resilience.
- Darren’s excitement for the Melbourne Football Club and 2021 and why he loves working for the club.
- John Marsden
- Anthony Crea
- Greg Matthews
- Simon Casomolo
- Tim Cahill
- Lucas Neill
- Gavin Wanganeen
- Fernando Torres
- Mesut Ozil
- Lachie Williams
- David Watts
- Selwyn Griffith
- David Regan
- Brett Nicholsten
- Daniel James
- Rebeka Alcock
- Peter Brukner
Listen: iTunes | IGTV | Spotify
Jack McLean is the founder of Prepare Like a Pro. He loves coaching people so that they can reach their personal/professional goals and become the best that they can possibly be. He is currently the Strength & Rehab Coach of Melbourne Football Club and has worked as Strength & Conditioning Coach at Hawthorn Football Club. Jack is a Level 3 Australian Strength & Conditioning Association and Professional Coach and a Level 1 Australian Weightlifting Federation Coach.
[…] Read More here: preparelikeapro.com/episode-48-darren-burgess/ […]