In Episode 46 of the Prepare Like A Pro Podcast, I am speaking with Alex McVeigh, a Physio at the Adelaide Crows AFLW side. Alex is a sports & exercise physiotherapist from Adelaide and he holds a master’s in advanced Clinic Physiotherapy (Sports) from the University of South Australia.
He’s worked at the Adelaide Crows FC as physiotherapist for the past 3 years across the development, SANFL & AFL programs. He also consults clinically with a particular focus on injuries of the lumbo-pelvic-hip complex and lower limb as well as being involved in research projects at the University of South Australia.
In this episode, you will learn:
- Alex’s football journey from start to now.
- The difference demands for female and male athletes.
- How his mentor Steve Saunders has helped shape his career and how he applies the learnings in his practice.
- Alex provided insight into his approach to rehabilitate players for AFL football and what preventative measures are important.
- His business with Steve Saunders and about their new clinic opening in Melbourne.
- The challenge 2020 COVID season brought.
- Why triple extension exercises are generally overused and what needs more attention in the weights room.
- The importance of having an individualized strength & conditioning program for managing past injuries and preventing reinjury.
- How important work experience is when it comes to working in elite sport.
- Steve Saunders
- Mark Zazzana
- Mark Jones
- Erin Phillips
Jack McLean is the founder of Prepare Like a Pro. He loves coaching people so that they can reach their personal/professional goals and become the best that they can possibly be. He is currently the Strength & Rehab Coach of Melbourne Football Club and has worked as Strength & Conditioning Coach at Hawthorn Football Club. Jack is a Level 3 Australian Strength & Conditioning Association and Professional Coach and a Level 1 Australian Weightlifting Federation Coach.