In this episode of the Prepare Like A Pro Podcast I am speaking to Sam Hayes, Ruckman of the Port Adelaide football club, a celebrated junior ruckman, the promising Sam Hayes is yet to debut but is highly rated by Port Adelaide’s football department. Hayes also recently signed a contract extension to tie him to Port Adelaide until at least the end of 2023, further illustrating the club’s belief in his ability. Hayes put in a string of strong SANFL performances in 2019 after returning from a serious knee injury suffered at training but was unfortunately limited in chances to shine without a second-tier competition to show his wares in 2020. He continues to add size to his 203cm frame and focus on improving his running ability as he prepares for a big 2021 season.
Topics we discussed:
- Sam’s football journey from start to finish
- The importance of having a solid strength & conditioning program during rehabilitation
- How he tackles the dark day’s footy can bring and the importance of focusing on the present
- Why balance and having a life outside football is so important for performance & overall health
- Sam goes into great detail about what has worked and what hasn’t throughout his career
- How he values life balance and shares plenty of tips and tricks for young developing footballers
- Lewis Hayes
- Ian Mckeown
- Daniel Rogers
- Xavier Duursma
- Connor Rozee
- Dylan Williams
Jack McLean is the founder of Prepare Like a Pro. He loves coaching people so that they can reach their personal/professional goals and become the best that they can possibly be. He is currently the Strength & Rehab Coach of Melbourne Football Club and has worked as Strength & Conditioning Coach at Hawthorn Football Club. Jack is a Level 3 Australian Strength & Conditioning Association and Professional Coach and a Level 1 Australian Weightlifting Federation Coach.